5 Surprising Ways You're Ruining Your Skin.
1. Outdated glasses/contact lens prescription: Anything that makes you squint like reading or working in a poorly lit room, or not updating your contact lens prescription leads to more fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area. Get thee to an eye doctor, stat!
Related: 4 Ways to Take Years Off Your Eyes
2. Steam rooms: We all love a good detoxifying sesh in a steam room or sauna, but Dr. Gross says to limit your exposure to these extreme-heat bad boys because they decompose skin's elastin and collagen. Eeeeek!
3. Running (or any high-impact exercise): "While such exercise may benefit our hearts, it can cause the fat pads to slide south, and collagen and elastin to break down. If you enjoy running, try walking," explains Dr. Gross. OMG remember on Ally McBeal when Jane Krakowski's character invented the face bra for jogging? It was for this!
4. Not sleeping: Okay, it's not news that pulling an all-nighter makes your skin look like crud the next day, but did you know that chronic sleep deprivation leads to long-term skin probs? "Lack of sleep can be so stressful that it actually causes our bodies, including our skin, to generate free radicals," says Dr. Gross. More free radicals mean you look older, faster.
5. Tap water: Chlorine in tap water can strip the natural oils from skin and cause dryness and irritation, especially in the winter when there is less humidity in the air to balance it out. I can vouch for that I bought a new showerhead with a built-in water filter and have noticed fewer dry patches on my legs.
Source yahoo shine.com