There will come a time when a person has to effectively deliver a speech in front of a group of people, so books that teach public speaking tips have become hot sellers. The rules of public speaking are as simple as A, B, C. Captivate your listeners by knowing the background and expectation of your audience before the speaking event. That's the most important public speaking tip you have to practice before doing anything else.
Here are other public speaking tips and strategies that will help anyone become an effective public speaker:
1) Making tiny mistakes is fine, as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them. However, it is highly recommendable to prepare well before your speech to avoid any embarrassing instances.
You are only human and you can recover from the errors you have made. Anyway, bouncing back from your mistakes makes your personality as a public speaker more trustworthy.
2) Bring out your sense of humor. You may tell jokes if the topic allows you to; but if you are not good at it, better leave the jokes from your agenda behind, for there is nothing more that can aggravate a speaking disaster than a bad punch line.
3) Master the art of telling stories. Own the stories you tell by using your real personal experience to bring life to the material you are delivering. These stories make you a real human, and animation can add color to them.
4) Use technology to sustain your momentum as a speaker but not vice versa. Your power point slides, if you are using one for your presentation, should contain visual graphics and not long sentences. Speak to your crowd and not your presentation.
5) Focus on bringing the positive thoughts to your words and not on how you are doing as a speaker. Enjoying your speech helps you deliver a compelling message.
You will enjoy speaking in front of a whole bunch of people if you always practice these effective public speaking tips.