Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Miqati vowed on Saturday that the northern city of Tripoli will not yield, noting that those who carried out Friday's attacks will be pursued.
“The security forces are fully carrying out their tasks in Tripoli. We called for backup,” Miqati told reporters after a security meeting at his residence in Tripoli.
He called on citizens to cooperate with security forces and facilitate their work.
Miqati pointed out that committees will be formed to reveal the damages caused by the two blasts.
On Friday, powerful car bombs exploded outside two Sunni mosques in Tripoli.
The first bomb struck in the city center at the al-Salam mosque as worshipers were still inside.
The second explosion struck just minutes later outside al-Taqwa mosque, about two kilometers away, near the port.
Miqati said that the explosions killed 35 people and wounded 900 others, including 110 in a critical condition.
The official called on the residents of Tripoli to neglect “fanaticism,” hold on to the state and and not to resort to self-security.
Miqati said that those who are responsible for the Dahieh blasts are also behind the explosions in Tripoli.
“We must fill the gap,” he added.
In July, a booby-trapped car exploded at a parking lot in Bir al-Abed, leaving 53 people wounded and causing extensive material damage.
And on last week, 27 people were killed and more than 336 others wounded in a powerful car bombing that went off between the suburbs of Bir al-Abed and Ruwais.
The security meeting was held in presence of caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel, Finance Minister Mohammed al-Safadi, Youth and Sports Minister Faisal Karami, Economy Minister Nicolas Nahhas, State Minister Ahmed Karam and MPs Mohammed Kabbara and Samir al-Jisr in addition to prominent security officials.